Sunday 24 June 2007

Artec Ultima 2000e+ scanner, and how to get it to work.

First of all, you need to get hold of the firmware for the scanner.

In both Windows and the Unices, there is a little bit of firmware that gets uploaded into the scanner - as far as I can see it gets uploaded every time the scanner is used. (This is some new definition of firmware that I wasn't previously aware of. It seems to get loaded into the scanner's volatile memory rather than being actual firmware).

For the Artec Ultima 2000e+ scanner, this piece of software is e2kPlus.usb and it is kept in \windows\system32\drivers

I got it by going to the Artec web site (I Googled "Artec Taiwan") and clicking on "Customer Support" | "Downloads", scrolling down to the bottom of the page to "Legacy Product Drivers" and clicking on "Legacy Products", an then looking for:
Ultima 2000 E+ Scanner driver only for Windows 98/ME/2000/XP
Notice: If your system is Win XP, please follow Readme for updating.



Select V1.32 from the drop down at the right hand side. In Konqueror, nothing happened for me. So I fired up Firefox, and headed back to http://www.artec.com.tw/Service_e/nl/home/Old_drivers.htm

The file that appeared in my download folder was called V132.exe. Time to use it in my installation of Wine.

I copied it to /home/insert-your-user-account-name-here/.wine/drive_c/ and right clicked in Konqueror to set the permissions to 'executable'

I then ran it at the command-line via wine c:\\V132.exe. (in fact, I ran it by

wine c:\\V132.exe &> /home/insert-your-user-account-name-here/scannerInstall.log
so that if there were any problems, I could look at the logfile.

It went swimmingly - second time round. The first time, either the download got corrupted, or I had not set V132.exe to be executable.

V132.exe was a self-extracting zipfile, which extracted several files to \windows\temp - the important file is e+V132.exe.

I right-clicked in Konqueror, set the permissions for \windows\temp\e+V132.exe to executable, and ran it via

wine c:\\windows\\temp\\e+V132.exe

It installs a shedload of files, but the interesting one is c:\windows\system32\drivers\e2kPlus.usb

No comments: